The Baby Wren and the Great Gift, written by bestselling author Sally Lloyd-Jones and illustrated by Jen Corace, is a celebration of all the wonderful gifts God has given us. The tiny wren marvels at the incredible creatures around her, all the while wishing she had a special gift to share. As she takes in the beauty of the world around her, she discovers a unique talent that’s been inside her all along.
Baby Wren and the Great Gift is absolutely beautiful, from the lyrical writing to the gorgeous illustrations. Have you ever looked at the people around you and noticed their amazing talent. Then wondered why you couldn't do what they could? Me too. And as much as I might enjoy listening to a talented pianist or seeing a mathematician solve a complicated problem, I get a bit discouraged. That's where we find Baby Wren. She's discouraged because all the creatures around her can do the most amazing things and she can't. Sally Lloyd-Jones' writing sings as she speaks through this sweet bird and travels with her on her journey of discovery. From page one, I was mesmerized by Jen Corace's illustrations. She knows where to add a perfect pop of color in the yellowness of the canyon. The pink sunset is breathtaking. While Baby Wren may be seeking her special gift, Lloyd-Jones and Corace have found theirs. I recommend this book to be read to pre-school through primary and read by intermediate age children. I also believe adults will enjoy this fabulous book as much as the kids. A must-have on the library's shelves. Five plus stars!
I received this book in exchange for a fair review.
If you'd like to win a copy of this wonderful book, leave a comment. I'll draw a winner on Saturday, April 9.
Baby Wren and the Great Gift is ideal for:
- Children ages 4 to 8 years old and those who enjoy picture books
- Spring and Summer reading lists for beginner and emerging readers
- Curriculum with a focus on poetic and lyrical language for kids
- Back to School reading for children needing encouragement upon beginning school and fitting in
- Teaching resource supporting every child having a gift, strength or talent
- Bird lovers seeking books on Wrens and birds for children (Zondervan)